All Articles in April, 2024

CVS: An Effective Strategy to Prevent Bile Duct Injury

Published on: 2nd April, 2024

Background: Bile duct injuries have been substantially increased after the introduction of laparoscopic cholecystectomy (LC). These are accompanied by major morbidity and mortality. Studies have shown varying degrees of success in the reduction of bile duct injury (BDI) using the Critical View of Safety (CVS) technique. The aim of this study was to see the efficacy of the CVS technique as the sole method of dissection in laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Methods: 1647 cases of LC were done between January 2012 and January 2022 for a period of 10 years in two hospitals. All were operated by the CVS dissection technique and none by the infundibular technique. Cases included acute cholecystitis, chronic cholecystitis, gangrenous cholecystitis, empyema, and Gallbladder (GB) polyp. Results: The average operating time was 42 minutes and the range was 13 to 80 minutes. In 92% of cases, all 3 criteria of CVS were achieved. In the remaining 8% cases were either converted to open or operated by a division of GB or subtotal cholecystectomy was done. There was only one case of cystic duct stump leak requiring drainage and common bile duct stenting.Conclusion: The excellent outcome of our study suggests that the CVS method will be the gold standard technique in the dissection of the gallbladder in LC. Further dissemination of the technique is necessary to improve safety in LC.
Cite this ArticleCrossMarkPublonsHarvard Library HOLLISGrowKudosResearchGateBase SearchOAI PMHAcademic MicrosoftScilitSemantic ScholarUniversite de ParisUW LibrariesSJSU King LibrarySJSU King LibraryNUS LibraryMcGillDET KGL BIBLiOTEKJCU DiscoveryUniversidad De LimaWorldCatVU on WorldCat
Help ?

HSPI: We're glad you're here. Please click "create a new Query" if you are a new visitor to our website and need further information from us.

If you are already a member of our network and need to keep track of any developments regarding a question you have already submitted, click "take me to my Query."